At a very early age, he was initiated into Classical Music by his late father Ustaad Alauddin Khan Saheb who was a fine Ghazal Singer and Tabla Player. A little later, he began receiving formal Classical Music training under his maternal grandfather Ustaad Munir Khan Saheb, the great Sarangi Player-Classical Vocalist and a beacon of the “Indore Gharana” and under Ustaad Bashir Khan Saheb of “Delhi Agra Gharana”. Ustaad Munir Khan was, in turn, a disciple of the legendary Ustaad Amir Khan Saheb – one of the greatest Classical Vocalists ever.
Coming from such a distinguished background, Javed Khan went on to acquire Graduation, Post Graduation and M.Phil Degrees in Classical Music (all from Delhi University), topping the results at each level, and winning a Gold Medal at the Master’s stage. Javed Khan has to his credit over a hundred performances including those on Television (in the ‘Indian Idol’ show where he was one of the finalists). He is versatile and performs as per the full range of his group’s repertoire.
- Graduate in Hindustani Music (Vocal) with First Division from Hindu College, University of Delhi.
- Masters in Hindustani Music (Vocal) with First Division from Ramjas College, University of Delhi.
- Gold Medalist in M.A. Hindustani Music (Vocal) from University of Delhi.
- M.Phil. in Hindustani Music (Vocal) with First Division from Faculty of Music and Fine Arts, Delhi University.
- Languages Known – Hindi, English, Punjabi etc.
- Empanelled in the ICCR’s (Indian Council for Cultural Relations) Reference Panel of Artists.
- “B High Grade” artist of Ghazals from All India Radio, regularly broadcasting programmes.
- Got the prestigious Scholarship for 2 years from Ministry of Culture, Govt. of India, in the field of Hindustani Vocal (Classical Music) in 2007.
- Finalist in Indian Idol – 2, Popular Show on Sony T.V.
- Won the first Prize in Mega Final of “Hero Honda Surtarang – National Singing Talent Hunt” held at Talkatora Indoor Stadium in Feb. 2003.
- Performed in “Crescendo Festival” held at Kamani Auditorium, Delhi in 2004.
- Performed in many prestigious programmes held in venues such as Talkatora Indoor Stadium – Delhi, Ravindra Natya Mandir – Mumbai, Kamani Auditorium – Delhi, Soochna Bhavan – Jodhpur etc.
- Performed at the Dainik Jagran Film Festival at Meerut, in 2010.
- Performing Artist for over 10 years.
- Worked as Music Director on DD NATIONAL’S Drama Series, ‘Lakeerein Qismat Ki ‘and also sang the title track of the same.
- Worked as Music Director on DD URDU’S Docu-Drama Series, Parwaaz-e-Niswaan and also sang the title track of the same.
- Recorded “Kurbaan” song with famous singer Sonu Nigam for the movie “Waar Chhodna Yaar” (2013).
- Worked as a Music Teacher for three years in Vidya Shree School of Music, Kailash Colony, New Delhi. (2005-2008) .
- Worked as Head of the Department (Music) in Indian Film & Television Institute, Meerut from September 2009 – February 2013.
- Worked as a visiting Music Instructor in Gragi College, Delhi University for 9 months in 2010-2011.
- Worked as Indian Music Teacher in G.D.Goenka Public School, Gurgaon, from July 2013 – July 2015.
- Worked as Music Teacher in Pathways School (IB Board), Gurgaon, from July 2015 – May 2016.